Friday, May 19, 2006

A Messy Theory

TODAY'S QUOTE:
My theory on housework is, if the item doesn't multiply, smell, catch on fire or block the refrigerator door, let it be. No one cares. Why should you?
Erma Bombeck (1927-1996)

This is not my attitude, in total, although I do subscribe to a large portion of its message. I am not a neat freak, but I do not bend all the way in the opposite direction either. I just usually do whatever I must to be able to do as I choose.
I try to use my time in a productive manner, doing something I feel driven to do, so there are not too many useless moments stacked together. I do not enjoy looking back upon a day that has no forward motion. Hell, I would rather clean than do nothing at all, but there are so many other things to choose from that take less energy and produce more lasting pleasure.
One of my best friends cleans all the time, with a house full of kids by the time she gets the last room straightened the first one she did is ready to redo. She is a trooper, beginning again in a never ending cycle. She has my respect for her fortitude. I 'spect I would stand like a tyrant over the messy ones, making them put everything back to rights until they learned the hard lesson of cause and effect.
We are a race of extremists, but I am on the fence on this issue. I have messy friends and neat ones, and I can tell you true that I do not love them for the way they clean or if they even do at all. The only ones that will truly judge you by such a shallow measure are not worth the knowing in any case.
I have messy moments and neat ones and I do not like myself more in either role. I truly just do not stress over the little issues of life that mean next to nothing in the long run. If I am remembered when I am gone it will not be because my house gleamed, but that worries me not at all. I get no comfort now from the notion of being recalled with a dust rag or mop in hand when I have left this earthly realm. The chance of that happening is nil, but let my words echo on and I will have served a higher purpose than keeping my corners dust bunny free.

THINK ABOUT IT
LET IT GROW
THEN DECIDE
CLICK ON THE TITLE TO VISIT
SISTERHOOD SUPPORT