Friday, March 17, 2006

Never Do's

TODAY'S QUOTE:
Never do anything that you wouldn't want to explain to the paramedics.
Source Unknown

This is sound advice. Good lessons given with humor are so much fun, so from time-to-time when I happen upon one I post it here for everyone's sake. I view this quote as a chuckle that reminds us to think about consequence's more often before we do the deed. We all need this reminder to different degrees and I am certainly twisting it in my mind right along side you.
When I was a nurses aide I used to pause in the doorway and look back into the room I was leaving to consider how it would appear to the charge nurse or family member who might enter after my departure. If I found myself in a frustrating situation I placed those same images outside the door ready to step in at any moment and I tempered my action so that if it became reality I would appear to be in gentle control. That practice kept me at a level of service that gave me pride and others much comfort.
So as a test to how well it will work if I use that same tactic in my everyday life I am choosing a watcher to put over my shoulder. I want them always with me, not simply outside the doorway, but fully aware of my every action. I place them there for many reasons, choosing them because I love them well and want them to approve of all I do, knowing that even if I stumble they will not condemn me out of hand. I place them there because I trust them to see me clearly and understand me completely.
For me it seems much safer to place a sentry with me now than wait and have to make up some crazy tale to tell the paramedic's, doctor's, nurse's, councilor's, or shrink's when risky behavior lands me in their path. Hedging the bets, stacking the deck, sweetening the odds, whatever I name it...it beats looking the fool later.


THINK ABOUT IT
LET IT GROW
THEN DECIDE

May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.
The rain falls soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again, may God hold you in the palm of His hand.
Irish blessing
May you always walk in sunshine.
May you never want for more.
May Irish angels rest their wings
right beside your door.
Irish blessing