Sunday, August 28, 2005

The Moment

TODAY'S QUOTE:
The moment one gives close attention to anything, even a blade of grass, it becomes a mysterious, awesome, indescribably magnificent world in itself.
Henry Miller

I know this is true. I have a vivid memory or a beautiful day, last summer, when I sat in my yard swing and gazed at a blade of grass long enough to imagine the world that lives under our feet. We tread over the ground, but rarely consider its reality. On that afternoon I considered little else.
I rocked and wrote and let my mind free-fall into the underbrush, soaking up sun and sound in a healing way that was rare enough to be quiet surreal. The echo of that day lingered with me through winter, it lingers with me still, and I expect it always will.
Moments come in all sizes, each short in time, but capable of absorbing a wondrous amount of sensory stimulation that can be recalled with amazing vividness at a later date. Fill your moments with attention to detail, from time-to-time, and they will fill you with joy over and over again.

This came in email from my good friend, Crystal. I place it here in honor of the joy reading it gave me, sharing the joy makes it even sweeter.

A well-known speaker started off his seminar by holding up a $20.00 bill. In the room of 200, he asked, "Who would like this $20 bill?"
Hands started going up. He said, "I am going to give this $20 to one of you but first, let me do this.
He proceeded to crumple up the $20 dollar bill. He then asked, "Who still wants it?"
Still the hands were up in the air. Well, he replied, "What if I do this?"
And he dropped it on the groun and started to grind it into the floor with his shoe. He picked it up, now crumpled and dirty. "Now, who still wants it?"
Still the hands went into the air.
"My friends, we have all learned a very valuable lesson. No matter what I did to the money, you still wanted it because it did not decrease in value. It was still worth $20.
Many times in our lives, we are dropped, crumpled, and ground into the dirt by the decisions we make and the circumstances that come our way.
We feel as though we are worthless. But no matter what has happened or what will happen, you will never lose your value. Dirty or clean, crumpled or finely creased, you are still priceless to those who DO LOVE you.
The worth of our lives comes not in what we do or who we know, but by WHO WE ARE and WHOSE WE ARE. You are special- Don't EVER forget it."
Count your blessings, not your problems.
And remember: amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic.
If God brings you to it - He will bring you through it.

THINK ABOUT IT
LET IT GROW
THEN DECIDE