Monday, August 29, 2005

Daring

TODAY'S QUOTE:
It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.
Seneca

Daring the unlikely is quite a struggle. When I finally stood up for myself, not pleading for mercy or love, but demanding my space I did not even consider the possibility of failure. But it took twenty years to work up the nerve to dare the battle. If I had known that all it would take was determination, born of desperation, I expect I would have done it much sooner.
Things were worse than difficult, for my oldest children as well as myself, yet I did nothing besides attempt, in every way possible, to please someone who only cared about his own feelings. I stood frozen for much too long and we all paid a price for my brain lag.
My sorry's are genuine, yet they are of little comfort to any of us. Things were difficult in the extreme, because I thought myself trapped. But daring to demand my birthright, of three square feet of personal space, saved all of us years of added torment and taught a tormenter a gentleness he had never known. Dare much for the sake of difficulties not resolved, it may not be a cake walk, but you may be surprised by just how much simpler it is than what you dreaded. I certainly did

THINK ABOUT IT
LET IT GROW
THEN DECIDE