Friday, June 03, 2005

Make Once Be Good Enough

TODAY'S QUOTE:
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.
Ettiene De Grellet

I just love this quote. What a joy it would be to live up to its poetic challenge. Reflecting upon it inspired a lingering look at my own actions, reminding me to use my time as wisely as possible. Everyone needs a reminder, from time to time, of what is truly important. It could not have come at a more opportune moment, when issues in my orbit are evolving at such a break-neck speed. One thing that makes it so difficult, right now, is I have no control over most of what is happening.
But I do have control of my own actions, or at least most of the time I do. I sometimes allow the demands placed upon me to make me bitchy, when I am trying to work. That is where I am going to attempt to adjust my behavior in the days and weeks to come. I have opened my home to my daughter and her children. If I practice what I preach then we will all be better off for the time spent together. If I bitch my way through it, my only daughter will have moved from one trap into another. I will not allow myself to make her feel guilty for things that are not her fault.
We will be good friends to one another. I will tell her when she is over-reacting, she will let me know when I am wearing an old lady shirt, which she did this very morning, (It has been demoted to sleepwear, just so you know.) We have to stick together, outnumbered as we are. With seven people living in a two bedroom mobile home, (nine on every other weekend, seven males versus two females) we have to be a united front, or surrender to the masses. NOT!!!!
I believe that it matters much more how well we use time than how much time we have. If I only have a little time to convince my only girl-child that her opinion, her space, her happiness are all within her rights to have then holding my tongue about little irritations will be a small price to pay. I would not have her anywhere else in her time of a possible awakening. She is no bother, and besides I have a real terror of old lady anything. I am into ageless fashion, and I hope to wear it well.

THINK ABOUT IT
LET IT GROW
THEN DECIDE