Monday, May 16, 2005

Price Verses Value

TODAY'S QUOTE:
What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. Oscar Wilde, Irish dramatist, novelist, & poet (1854 - 1900)

I lived with a cynic for thirty years. It was behavior learned long before we ever met. Unlearning things takes the same willingness to practice as learning them demands, and he was unlearning them well. He finally realized that we see what we look for, good and bad exists side-by-side, totally focusing on either makes the other less noticeable.
Things of real lasting value are priceless. Money buys stuff, but most stuff is manmade, its value decreases, it mostly just gets used up or worn out. The things that last come from inside, manmade too, but with material that is eternal in its strength. A true cynic sees stuff and measures life by the scale of how much stuff is owned, an optimist sees the valuable things and measures there.
I am a realist, but I am optimistic too. It is fact that is faced head on that makes me a realist. It is knowledge that good can come out of even the worst possible experience that keeps me optimistic. I am a healthy mix, who realizes well that price has nothing at all to do with real value. If all I own was destroyed tomorrow, I would still be rich in all that really matters to me.

THINK ABOUT IT
LET IT GROW
THEN DECIDE
CLICK ON TITLE FOR SOMETHING SPECIAL