Saturday, May 21, 2005

Gossip--Words Not Worth The Saying

TODAY'S QUOTE:
There is so much good in the worst of us,
And so much bad in the best of us,
That it hardly behooves any of us
To talk about the rest of us.
Edward Wallis Hoch Marion (Kansas) Record(1849 - 1925)

Gossip is verbal poison that infects the teller just as deeply as it does the one being spoken of. The world is overflowing with its venom. We judge harshly and condemn quickly much too often with words whispered from ear to ear that hold little truth in their content. Things are often not what they seem; assumptions and innuendos can destroy lives when wagging tongues attack.
I avoid gossip, discouraging its use in my presence and not repeating things I hear. I want to be liked, but will not don the dress of busybody to get attention. I deal in positives and gossip is grounded in negatives, adding my voice to half truths will not make them more factual.
Gossip that is true is none of my business anyway. If the person in question shares something with me I listen with out judgment, give advice if asked, offer support automatically, but I avoid breaking a confidence.
I was never a big gossip, but now I am not a gossip at all. I passed on information to a best friend only then had it come back to me through another friend and saw the grief it caused first hand, so I do not share negative things about people even in that context. My lesson was well-learned and I know now that to share smut with even the best of friends can be dangerous. I try to chat about positives and leave the dirt for others to spread if they must.


THINK ABOUT IT
LET IT GROW
THEN DECIDE