Saturday, April 09, 2005

Do Your Damnedest!

TODAY'S QUOTE:
I always remember an epitaph which is in the cemetery at Tombstone, Arizona. It says: 'Here lies Jack Williams. He done his damnedest.' I think that is the greatest epitaph a man can have - When he gives everything that is in him to do the job he has before him. That is all you can ask of him and that is what I have tried to do.
Harry S Truman 33rd president of US (1884 - 1972)

I am doing my damnedest in most things, on most days, but that changes from day to day. Sometimes my damnedest alters from moment to moment; I roll with the punches or ride the wave, whichever applies. But more often, than not, my best foot is forward. And the only direction you can go, when stepping with that foot first, is frontwards. In a lot of ways I am like a car with no reverse.
On bad day's I let myself be content with simply standing still. No sudden moves. No acting out to ease whatever aches. Bumpy times only ride harder when more debris gets tossed in the road. And nothing slows a traveler down faster. Bad days are tiresome enough without making the trip through them more difficult.
I think of hard times as speed bumps, placed there to slow our travels for various reason. Maybe a lesson needs learned. Maybe map reading is called for. Maybe time out is required. I simply do my damnedest, and somehow that is always more than enough to get by.

THINK ABOUT IT
LET IT GROW
THEN DECIDE