Thursday, March 10, 2005

Mistake Management

THIS DAY IN HISTORY:
1876 1st telephone call made (Alexander Graham Bell to Thomas Watson)

TODAY'S QUOTE:
If you have made mistakes, even serious ones, there is always another chance for you. What we call failure is not the falling down but the staying down. Mary Pickford US (Canadian-born) movie actress (1893 - 1979)

Mistakes are what we learn the most from; somehow hard lessons just seem much easier to remember. Mistakes come in every shape and size. The variety of screw ups possible is endless, and I have certainly sampled more than my fair share. One thing I have noticed is that learning from them is one thing, turning from them is quite another. Recognizing a misstep is easier than not taking it, but admitting its existence is a huge step. Knowledge is only power if you put it into action.
Every human falls in some way. I am never surprised to find myself suddenly flat on my face. But I am much too stubborn to just sit idle and watch life pass me by. Getting up again gets tiresome sometimes, since every tumble leaves some kind of injury that must be dealt with. Staying upright is a balancing act, once you tumble regaining your feet takes courage. Giving up is simple, hell it takes no effort at all.
I hope I never lose the hunger to walk upright, even when I can only limp along. I have no doubt I will fall on my ass many times before this journey is done, but I have a balance now that is making it harder and harder to trip over the same old obstacles. Awareness of triggers that cause some mistakes makes them more manageable. Growth in this area of my being is happening like an automatic update to a program long ignored.
Falling down is certain. Getting up is optional. It is also mandatory to living a full life that you begin as many times as necessary to get it right. Your capacity to succeed has nothing to do with finances or location. Each human spirit has the same ability to overcome any adversity. Every new leaf turned over reveals rich dirt underneath for planting a meaningful garden. Planting it where sunlight reaches it, and watering it with the best intentions insures a healthy crop.

THINK ABOUT IT
LET IT GROW
THEN DECIDE