Friday, March 18, 2005

Drinking With An Optimist

Today's Quote:
A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin.
H. L. Mencken US editor (1880 - 1956)


I am by nature and inclination an optimist. I see the glass as half full. I expect the rainbow at the end of every storm. I search for the silver lining in every dark cloud. And I seek the best in everyone. Life has given me enough disappointments and heartaches to make me cynical, but I was never even tempted to board that dark train that all too often leads to nowhere.
What little comfort that can come from being right when something goes wrong is not enough pleasure to keep me satisfied. I would rather feel the bliss of achieving something that took some struggle, and belief in my ability goes a long way toward placing the seemingly unattainable within my reach. A cynic just does not bother reaching for what he knows he can not achieve. He guarantees failure and then gets satisfaction from knowing beforehand. Well duh!!!!
I lived with a cynic for 30 years, and he was much unhappier than I ever was, no matter what was going on around us. But after I changed my mousy ways he changed his cynical spots to a size that did not seek to steal my rainbows. If you are a cynic drink from an optimists glass from time to time, it will gentle your attitude. If you live with one just keep sharing rainbows and silver linings. See the best in them and give them the best in you. Try topping off that glass and drinking together, it worked for us.

THINK ABOUT IT
LET IT GROW
THEN DECIDE