Sunday, March 06, 2005

Disposition Dispossessions

THIS DAY IN HISTORY:
MICHELANGELO BORN:March 6, 1475

DAILY QUOTE:
I am still determined to be cheerful and happy, in whatever situation I may be; for I have also learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions, and not upon our circumstances. Martha Washington

DISPOSITION: means personality and behavioral tendency.
personality: usual mood or temperament
behavioral tendency:
an inclination or tendency to act in a particular way

DISPOSSESSION: the act of depriving somebody of possessions, or the state of being deprived of everything you have, that usually refers to things like land or money

Reading Martha's words got me thinking and sent me rushing toward the dictionary for a common thread that would help me push the idea just a bit harder. Webster did not join the two in a way that satisfied me. I will do it myself from my own place of understanding as I see things, since all important fibers are there just waiting to be spun together.
I believe a persons disposition is a trainable thing. I know that mine certainly was. Sometimes it is nothing more than old tired habits that cause us to act in any certain way. Like auto-pilot we just perform as programmed rather than chart a new way. Reprogramming only happens if we choose. Disposition training is an elective course in Hard Luck School, not a mandatory one, but why anyone would not jump at the chance to learn how to be more centered is beyond me.
Dispossession of your disposition is elective too, it is totally by choice that you replace a good mood for a bad one. Others may push your buttons, but it is you who throws the power switch that puts it all into action. When your hand is holding white knucked tight to a place that someone else forced you to reach for, pause for just a moment to reconsider. Switch off auto-pilot and begin retraining.
I have noticed over time that people do not like to feel things alone. Good or bad people try to share moods. But they are only contagious if you breathe deep and embrace them. So next time try lightening their disposition instead of darkening your own. It is always my first plan of defense.


THINK ABOUT IT
LET IT GROW
THEN DECIDE
CLICK ON TITLE FOR FLASH MOVIE
(STRIVING FOR CHANGE)