Monday, February 07, 2005

Walking With Pain

Saturday, I did a whole bunch of walking, and I am still sore this morning. Monday is gym day, so I have about an hour and thirty minutes of exercise to struggle through before the heat of hot tub and sauna can sooth my suffering.
My body began sending panicked messages to my brain as soon as the moaning stopped after my feet hit the floor. Call off. Do not go. Stay home. Just think, of how much worse it will hurt if you do more. Yadda, yadda, yadda!!!!
I allowed myself about three minutes of rest in that lovely idea then changed the focus of my thoughts. Ignoring my whining muscles I let my will take over. It had a totally different message. Go, do your routine, just do it slower if necessary, but do it. Function! Cope! Walking with pain is not anything new, for crying out loud. You have done it for a lifetime, and this is just more of the same.
Any pain can be gotten through, emotional as well as physical, it just takes the right focus.
I limped to the medicine cabinet. I swallowed some mild pain killers. I applied heat to the aches, and now I am patiently waiting for some relief. I can walk with pain, and get where I am headed. And the satisfaction of achievement will be all the sweeter because it was not an easy task. This morning I exercised my will, so that later I can exercise my body, and satisfy my mind. Success is all in who you put in charge of your pain walk.


THINK ABOUT IT
LET IT GROW
THEN DECIDE