Thursday, May 04, 2006

Every Strike

TODAY'S QUOTE:
Every strike brings me closer to the next home run.
Babe Ruth (1895-1948)

The cycles of life are like that; good follows bad, and bad follows good in a never ending fashion, as it really should if you think about it logically. Too many of us just toss the bat into the dirt and walk off the field when continuing to swing brings us ever closer to the home run we all hunger to achieve.
If practice makes perfect in anything we attempt to master, why are we so determined to quit before we get to pro level? I think some stop because it is hard to keep trying and they would rather be layed back in a recliner with the remote. I know some get hurt too often to make it seem like a smart act to keep on beating what they view as a dead horse. Some buy into what others say about their ability. Some just vegetate, without need of anyone or anything outside their tight little safe circle.
I view the bad as lessons. I view the good as rewards. I view myself as worthy of a home run, so I just keep batting while I still possess the strength to swing the bat. To do less would mean I feel I do not deserve to play at all, and I will never allow that thought to gather strength and zap my resolve to really live as fully as possible.
I know I am bound to strike out from time-to-time. The odds of always hitting the mark at every swing are zero percent, but every honest attempt brings some measure of hope for success. To not bat at all means I would have to simply stand on home plate and watch the ball wizz by and lose my turn by default. What a sad image that produces in a mind that refuses to just stand on the sidelines watching others play the game.
I choose to keep slugging, not because it is easy, but because it is the only sure way to achieve any measure of true pleasure from what is too often a brutal game. Life is bitter-sweet enough without me adding to the bitter by not valuing the sweet enough to risk another defeat. Losing by not trying is not a fate that will ever belong to me.

THINK ABOUT IT
LET IT GROW
THEN DECIDE
CLICK ON THE TITLE TO VISIT
SISTERHOOD SUPPORT