Sunday, April 02, 2006

Affording To Be Stupid

TODAY'S QUOTE:
It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them.
Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882)

Well, I was three paragraphs into today's post when a awful noise caught my attention. I noticed the change outside the window, the landscape suddenly bathed in a strange hue only produced by storms. The wind was rumbling like the wheels of a fast moving train and for the moment I was trapped inside the far end of a mobile home while the air was becoming a visible enemy.
Tree limbs bounced up and down in a mad dance, some appearing to grow in length as trees responded to the mighty push of air against wood. I did a dance of my own and sang out words of warning to the teen in the shower. By the time he was dressed enough to allow me into his space and beyond, hail was banging an angry tune upon tin. Lighting split the sky with fierce intensity and the long and short of it is, I ran back and without a second thought unplugged all electronics.
Now I sit here and frown softly because words I can never hope to get back are gone for good, but my eyes are sparkling too. How can I mourn lost words when I still have a roof above me and floor below. The things lost and gone are most times better put to rest so that things found and solid can be appreciated.
Today the quote will speak for itself it seems, and I will talk of other things. Trying to recapture what is gone is not how I choose to live my life or spend my time. The storm is over now, but sure to come again sometime soon. In life, situations ripe for storms are plentiful. Things lost are soon replaced with other things.
I have lived through enough storms to realize that I have the power to weather most anything if I choose to salvage all that remains and get over the loses I cannot control. Mistakes in judgment and such, (unplugging the computer without saving what I had written, or countless examples I could but will not mention), are part of being human. Learning from mistakes makes them worth the agony, avoiding the same ones later is a sure sign that what was paid is all that will be required.
We can avoid some storms, while others are upon us out of nowhere. We can concentrate on what blows away or gather together whatever remains. We can do most anything we set our minds to do, but we have to choose wisely. What you give attention to gains its own energy, fueling a positive strengthens us and giving power to a negative drains us. Duh!!! Seems a no-brainer when you think about it, sooooo...

THINK ABOUT IT
LET IT GROW
THEN DECIDE