Tuesday, November 01, 2005

One Last Try

TODAY'S QUOTE:
The only time you mustn't fail is the last time you try.
Charles F. Kettering

I know someone who hates the word try; either do or do not do, but simply trying seems too easy an excuse if you become eager for a back door escape, in his estimation. I can agree with his philosophy, in part, because I think it is a term that suffers much from overuse.
I quickly noticed just how often I uttered it myself and have cut down severely in my own vocabulary. I still try my best, which fluctuates from moment to moment. But I am not in any rush to announce a simple attempt at anything. I call it practicing now, going further each time until I soar, like a bird learning to fly.
I gather strength from the fact that when I care enough, the transition from trying to doing is much easier than imagined, at first glance. I have learned that when I come armed with what is needed for success the journey is empowering. And usually the answers, about things to be mastered before going off half cocked toward certain failure, are whispered to me by that quiet voice that echoes from deep inside. Next time before you simply try, inform yourself, draw a map, take some notes, do some planning and then do the task. And watch for me as you soar.

THINK ABOUT IT
LET IT GROW
THEN DECIDE