Sunday, October 16, 2005

The Right Anger

TODAY'S QUOTE:
Anybody can become angry-that is easy, but to be angry with the right person, and to the right degree, and at the right time, and for the right purpose, and in the right way-that is not within everybody's power and is not easy.
Aristotle

Anger has its positive side, if utilized in a way that balances temper with good sense. But if rage has complete control it becomes a two edged sword; it always cuts both ways, without our tempering the force applied, the direction aimed, and the length held onto. When it takes up residence in heart, mind, or soul it becomes akin to cancer, eating away at healthy tissue.
That is not to say I never feel the emotion, but I say what I must then let it go. Grudges and actions inspired by spitefulness are more the burden of the ones holding them than the ones they are directed toward. I have noticed that the ones who make me the most often angry are the ones who do not give a flip what I think anyway.
It would be foolish to cook a huge meal for someone who will not dine, and even more irritating to imagine their glee at watching me toil. My anger can be earned, my censure received, but my balance and piece of mind are not up for grabs. Any investment, taking that much time and energy should leave a positive behind. And anger that outlives its time and place is much too costly for my taste.

THINK ABOUT IT
LET IT GROW
THEN DECIDE