Wednesday, August 17, 2005

What Lies Within

TODAY'S QUOTE:
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Well that is a comfortable image to tuck into my overflowing brain. If you are anything like me you are stuffed with all kinds of stuff; some good, some bad; things owned, things rented; shadows cast from the past, sun beam lighting the way to the future, and many miscellaneous objects just too numerous to mention. Knowing what is inside is not always simple, changing the landscape takes time and strength of purpose.
Knowledge helps, but action heals. I write here to teach myself too, picking quotes that help me turn my mind in the right direction. In the same fashion that you are what you eat, what you feed your mind and heart defines what they become. It is all too easy to just run with the pack, but in this one thing we each go it alone. Freewill gives us options we should make good use of, but the human animal is often overflowing with contradictions.
I am in constant defrag mode, caught in the sticky web between the knowing and the doing. I ache for things I will never have unless I am willing to bite the bullet and think mostly about long term happiness instead of short term satisfaction. The fact that I am totally aware of it only makes it harder, if I was clueless I would not carry the burden that knowledge brings, which is total responsibility for every purposeful act I perform.
Humans weave the traps that bind them then act surprised that they are caught up in something painful. I know this from personal experience.
But from time to time we take stock of how we got to a certain point, and that is where I am at......again! Tomorrow is another day, but waiting till then to alter some things that are stopping me dead in my tracks just seems like a handy placating bandaide for a wound that will only be bigger by then. Today is my starting point. Tomorrow is my target.....and the next day....and the next....and all the tomorrows that follow till all my time here is spent.

The following came in an email and I thought it was well worth the effort to place it here for viewing. Anyone who has something to contribute feel free to use the Hannah button at the bottom of my home page.

Some people understand life better, and they call some of these people retarded"...

At the Seattle Special Olympics, nine contestants, all physically or mentally disabled, assembled at the starting line for the 100-yard dash. At the gun, they all started out, not exactly in a dash, but with a relish to run the race to the finish and win. All, that is, except one little boy who stumbled on the asphalt, tumbled over a couple of times, and began to cry.
The other eight heard the boy cry. They slowed down and looked back. Then, they all turned around and went back ... every one of them. One girl with Down's Syndrome bent down and kissed him and said, "This will make it better." Then all nine linked arms and walked together to the finish line.
Everyone in the stadium stood; the cheering went on for several minutes; people who were there are still telling the story... Why? Because deep down we know this one thing: What matters in this life is more than winning for ourselves. What matters in this life is helping others win, even if it means slowing down and changing our course. If you pass this on, we may be able to change your heart as well as someone else's. "A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle"

THINK ABOUT IT
LET IT GROW
THEN DECIDE