Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Great Spirits

TODAY'S QUOTE:
Great spirits have always encountered opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.
Albert Einstein, quoted in New York Times, March 13, 1940
US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

I have an advantage over some in that I once possessed a mind that worked in a very mediocre way, an unwilling member of the masses who follow the lead of the one directly ahead. I understand the comfort of compliance, but I also know the immeasurable joy that comes from free falling into life and soaring on the winds of change.
My mind does not linger overlong on incidentals nowadays, I rent no space to drama or gossip, there is just no room to waste on such idle issues. I try to stay informed about things that deserve contemplation. I rarely take things at face value, but look deeper to find the facts others may miss in their mad dash to the finish line.
I care about such things, because in them you find the real treasures. You discover things worth knowing, people worth befriending, causes worth championing. My orbit is small, but my mind is big enough to clearly see that in this day and age that means little.
In the age of information there are too many uninformed, by choice and by design. In an age where with one click you can cross the earth there are too many still stuck in place. In an age where there is so much to agree on there are too many still determined to be disagreeable. Every day I strive to not simply follow the crowd to who knows where, but to walk in the sunshine of a path of my own choosing.

THINK ABOUT IT
LET IT GROW
THEN DECIDE