Thursday, May 19, 2005

Fidelity

TODAY'S QUOTE:
Many persons have a wrong idea of what constitutes true happiness. It is not attained through self-gratification but through fidelity to a worthy purpose.
Helen Keller (1880 - 1968)

I cannot think of a better way to use fidelity than to invest it in something worth the bother. Journey's End has my passion, what I do here matters to me and it matters to some other's too. I spend vast amounts of my time keeping an old computer working so I can reach this place. I take time and thought over every word typed at both sites. I expanded, because I wished to touch more of you, and I wanted you to have a place to go when you felt alone. Our Journey's End is a home of your own, if you will. I did not do any of this for my gain.
I had too much on my plate and scaled back by deciding to stop working outside the home for the summer, so that I can focus all my spare time on this newborn. I will still be volunteering, but I need a flexibility I could not have while I was fracturing my time. This worthy purpose deserves a summer to see if I can populate it with a real family of friends.
I have a teenaged son who needs my foot on his tail, or he would be untamable by fall. I owe him my fidelity too. A man will replace the boy soon, and I am his only parent. To ignore his issues will not solve anything. That is my worthiest purpose.
How my touch affects other's matters to me. While I have a voice that is still strong, and a heart that aches for all the pain and confusion I encounter, I will continue traveling the course I have been on since last October.
My daughter is reading a book I wrote and she is hears me soul deep, which is a wonder to watch. I get much comfort from knowing that my voice will echo in a place where all who love me can reach long after I am gone. Leaving something worthy behind is true happiness, and it did not take wise words from a blind and deaf woman to teach me that. I learned it first hand, but I am so thankful that we agree.

THINK ABOUT IT
LET IT GROW
THEN DECIDE