Thursday, April 07, 2005

Grass Tending

TODAY'S QUOTE:
The grass is not, in fact, always greener on the other side of the fence. Fences have nothing to do with it. The grass is greenest where it is watered. When crossing over fences, carry water with you and tend the grass wherever you may be. Robert Fulghum, It Was on Fire When I Lay Down on It, US author & Unitarian clergyman (1937 - )

I tend the grass I stand upon. It only makes sense to tenderly care for the space you inhabit. Searching for happiness by looking at someone else's life and coveting it is a futile task. Expecting a different location to fix things is silly, since you will be wherever you go. Do all you can, with what you have, and naturally outgrow the old and create the new. Greener grass is not on the other side, it is on the inside.
As far as actual grass that is a whole other can of worms. I love summer, but hate cutting grass. Lawn tending with a broken rider and a retarded push mower, which only cuts right when pulled backwards, is a trial. Possessing a huge lawn with 38 trees is both a blessing and a curse.
This year will be easier, even though my tools are the same as last. The summer of 2004 was hard; every first chore done alone is difficult, but the year I took over lawn mower man's chores was brutal. I sobbed during the entire first cutting. But I coped and survived. This year maybe I will thrive.
I think I have the strength this year to force my 14 year old son to do the job. I will take over the task, of pick up before cutting, that he had last season. Lasts year it was necessary to my healing that I struggle with it, this year for the sake of my sanity all cutting chores belong to Dee.

THINK ABOUT IT
LET IT GROW
THEN DECIDE