Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Laughter Light

TODAY'S QUOTE:
Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human face.
Victor Hugo, 1802-1885, French Poet/Dramatist/Novelist

The joy of laughter reaches every fiber of human kind. Years fall away and for a moment the shadow of a child will cross even the most time worn face. We speak of lifted spirits and cheering up which shows with words the power of laughter to soothe. As long as we retain the ability to chuckle we have certain joy.
Some of the funniest things are not really funny in themselves. Irony can turn even the most dreadful situations into stand up material. It usually takes some measure of time to appreciate the humor, but sometimes hilarity is so inpatient for its moment that it bursts into life without permission.
When a mouse ran up my husbands pant leg it was certainly not funny to him. I was almost hysterical with glee as I listened to the primal noises he made and watched him rip his jeans from his body. He found a chuckle for that years later, but he never laughed as hard as I did, and I never did loose that ability to laugh till I cried when I retold the story. Perspective is everything.
One of my best friends has an uncontrollable reaction to people falling. Her mother fell out of a truck and broke her leg. She was in a car right behind and saw it happen. Poor girl had to compose herself half a dozen times while she related the accident to me. We both knew it was not really funny, she was laughing at tumble not break and I was laughing because she was.
Laughter is contagious. So is a bad mood, or sorrow; every emotion can be transferred just by the energy it possesses. If I am going to infect anyone with anything laughter seems the most wonderful thing to pass along.

THINK ABOUT IT
LET IT GROW
THEN DECIDE