Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Fear Is

TODAY'S QUOTE:
Fear is the main source of superstition, and one of the main sources of cruelty. To conquer fear is the beginning of wisdom.
Bertrand Russell, Unpopular Essays (1950), "Outline of Intellectual Rubbish"
British author, mathematician, & philosopher (1872 - 1970)

Fears are like pennies; we end up with a pocket full, they weigh us down, and have no real worth. To be penniless is a plus when equated with panic. Caution that keeps us safe is one thing, but irrational fear can steal a whole lifetime.
Fright of things that others take for granted has been one of my biggest obstacles. Travel has been a challenge and I have not been that far in miles as yet. I faced a penny heavy brain and left my driveway, knowing that if I did not do so soon, I would lose heart and settle in here. That notion was harder to contemplate than a thumping chest and trembling hands. It is never what you fear but how you face it that counts.
There are many things that I have no interest in mastering. Some fears have an honored place in my soul. Snakes will never have to suffer my touch or me theirs. Mice are only cute on cartoons, and rats are scary in any fashion. But any fear that attempts to keep me from growing has just gotta go. I guess you could say I am at the penny sorting stage of my life. If I add them all up I am certain to possess the price of a life worth of living.

THINK ABOUT IT
LET IT GROW
THEN DECIDE