Tuesday, November 15, 2005

A Rule Of Life

TODAY'S QUOTE:
Make it a rule of life never to regret and never to look back. Regret is an appalling waste of energy; you can't build on it; it's only for wallowing in.
Katherine Mansfield, 1888-1923
New Zealand Short Story Author

This quote mirrors my mind set, and the photo echoes how I visualize past and future. Both were chosen because I delight in going deeper than surface level.
My display message, on MSN is, 'Je ne regrette rien', which means I regret nothing. I have had it up there for well over a year and it has become a touch stone for me. Reading it always reminds me that dwelling on things from another lifetime will only spoil the one I am living now. And for me every day is a little lifetime.
I am a bit like the girl in the window, except I am on my feet, facing the future. The darkness all around is like the past. Any attention aimed toward it would illuminate, dimming the brightness of the future. Regret would force me to relive things I already struggled through. And to what aim? Nothing can be altered. Being heavy hearted and empty handed at the same time is unpleasant, but to willingly place yourself in that position is criminal.
I know people who wallow, and I do not wish to be numbered among their group. Why embrace agony so tightly that no joy can penetrate? Why dig in a wound to keep it bleeding? Why waste a minute regretting the moments you already wasted? Why turn your back on the future to relive the past?

THINK ABOUT IT
LET IT GROW
THEN DECIDE