Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Be Countable

TODAY'S QUOTE:
Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that seem important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.
Thomas J. Watson

The ordinary person has so much more power than most ever really tap into, taking the time to study and understand any issue worth being passionate about takes attention to detail that demands time some never utilize. I know in my own life there were years I lived through when all I did was struggle to survive without thought to any weighty issue outside of keeping a roof overhead.
My mind is crowded now in ways it never was then. I contemplate world issues, struggling to understand the things going on all around me on an ever changing, ever shrinking earth. I ponder the way we use and abuse one another. I am not a sheep simply willing to walk where led, because I have brains enough to understand that sheep get taken to pasture sometimes, but they also get led to slaughter.
I worry about all the bullied in the world, people made victim by no fault of their own and in my small way I struggle to find a way to assist. I cannot stop war or abuse, but I can in some fashion make it easier for a sheep to find the way back to self by pointing the way to safety. I can and do say your not alone. I remind women that they do not have to believe what an abuser teaches them about who they are. I remind myself too that the past does not have to mirror the future, unless its allowed control.
The cost is unimportant to me, nothing can take more than the years I gave, or the friend I lost to sheep walking. To try is to risk failure, but to be silent is to guarantee defeat. On this one thing I am willing to risk all without thought of any gain for myself except the joy of seeing even one life redirected away from slaughter. Find something to believe in then give it some attention. Seeing the bigger picture demands some involvement in it.

THINK ABOUT IT
LET IT GROW
THEN DECIDE